Saturday, June 05, 2010

To Save a Dying Blog.


The joy on platoon 6's faces knowing that we're heading home.

The Commanders of Bravo Company.


Don't really know if people still read this blog but yes, I shall stop procastinating and revive it. It's coming to a month since I've last touched this blog. I don't really know how to put into words whatever that has happened in my life for the past one month but I guess I can summarise it somehow.

Taiwan was a good learning experience for myself. It was the first time I was away from home for so long and literally quite disconnected from the world. The truth was, I sort of wanted to be isolated or rather take a break from the continuous need to catch up with everything back here. Living conditions were quite bad there. That part made me appreciate singapore's strong infrastructure. Turning on taps that had no water, sleeping on planks, congested sleeping quarters, bathing with dirty water, no pillows, no flush, no sinks... and the list goes on. Moral of story - we must appreciate whatever we have and not complain.

Anyway, those two photos up there shows the people I have been working with in the army. The first is my men and the second are my fellow commanders. Honestly, I think I'm a very bad friend to them cos I really really don't join them for whatever outings they have when we're out of camp till the point they can say "eh jt, you always don't like to join us outside. is it you don't like us but just act act happy happy smile at us everyday in camp". It's really a challenge to prioritise and balance friendships.

The past one week was quite a good break for me. I really felt like a normal civillian once more. It struck me how hard was it for me to like relate to my other guy friends who were stuck back in camp. Time outside camp just passes so quickly and I forgot how torturously slow time passes in camp for them. I couldn't relate/feel the sian-ness they had when they messaged me. That moment, I realised how hard it actually is for people who aren't in the army or don't have stay-in requirements to understand our lives. It provided me with a new perspective.

Hectic army cycle starting again beginning with this coming week. Outfields after outfields, followed by NDP, then outfields again. I'm really praying the schedule changes somehow. Okay stay positive stay positive and yes, stay positive. Shall end this post with a happy taiwanese mrt station photo. The sunflowers feel so happy. (Btw I didn't really take any photos because I forgot to bring my camera out on the first day. oh gosh. haha.)


Sunflowers greet you on both sides as you exit the station!

Posted at 10:01 PM