Friday, November 24, 2006
I've told myself that one day I will blog my favourite essay, and here it is. It was my essay written for the prelim examination, ironically, it got me an average mark. But somehow I still like it a lot. Don't expect cheem english and superb desciptions as it was written in 35 to 40minutes. It's meant to be a descriptive essay.
The title given was "Wealth".
A life of wealth. That was the life Mr Maxwell lived; a life of wealth filled with luxuries, status and a beautiful home. He lieved on an enormous plot of land down Jade Road, on which stood a majestic sight- his mansion. The low-rise pearly-white building would never fail to grab the attention of any curious passer-by. Its majesty and splendor radiated from the very heart of the building. There were tinges of gold coating embedded on the edges of the crimson-red roof, signifying the abundance of wealth. Strong, thick pillars with various Greek patterns engraved on them supported the two-storey high roof covering the porch. Each window on the house was tinted with a hint of mist. The vibrant colours of the variety of flowers such as lilies, hibiscus and orchids greeted any visitor to his house as they made their way along the gravel path filled with flowers on both sides. It was sheer beauty and wealth; and that was his house.
Every morning, he awoke to the aroma of freshly-brewed English Tea, brewed from the finest tea leaves. As he sipped on the slightly warm cup of tea, a sensual feeling came upon him; a feeling of serenity. He struggled to get himself off the bed, simply because the bed was far too comfortable, soft and enticing for him to get off. It would be after much tugging at by his young servant that he would get off. He had a very loyal servant who lived together with him and they were the only occupants of the house. Freshly-cooked eggs with a radiant yellow woke coupled with a streak of fatty bacon would be Mr Maxwell's breakfast. Despite the simplicity of the meal, he never failed to enjoy it.
He never had to worry about work, for he was aged and had retired. However, his body could not be resigned to the idea of lazing around. During most of the late mornings and early evenings, he could be found in his lovely, hidden garden at the back of the mansion. Plants were his passion. The buzzing of bees, the chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves were melodious to his ears. It was like a grand concerto pieced together by the finest orchestras. That was music from his perspective. In his garden were the presences of both tall and short shrubs which were well-pruned and took different forms. In one corner, there would be an umbrella-like canopy of the rain tree. In another corner, the conical shape of a pine tree took centre stage. The variety of flora and fauna in his respectable garden was unimaginable. Rabbits could be found scampering across the lush greenery of the grass. Butterflies fluttered from plant to plant, with their rainbow wings sashaying with their gentle, demure movements. A flower bed of roses with distinct colours like scarlet red and white was the pride of his garden.
It was the end of another day for Mr Maxwell, when the sun had completed its duty and taken a break when the fading of light was accompanied by the mergence of night. There he sat on a bench in his lovely garden, watching how the radiance of colour in his garden took its leave as the darkness of night set in. It is then that he gives in to the temptation of his enticing springy bed. This was how Mr Maxwell lived his life of wealth, enjoying every moment in his life and the beauty of the products of his wealth.
I hoped you liked the essay. I wanted to blog it down, so that in future when I look back I would be able to read it again. Sometimes I wished I could at least write something of that standard for my O's english paper. Unfortunately, it was far from it.
Today, the PSLE results were released. It made me feel quite sad about what happened 4years ago when I received my results. It was the greatest letdown in my life. Sadness overcame me when I received my results. The results may be good to others, but it was considerably low in my family. I felt lousy. Anyway, I have long gotten over it. Thankfully, I didn't get higher or I won't be in VS.
I've always not liked this PSLE and streaming system. Although I benefitted, but there are many others out there who have been branded as 'lousy' just because they don't get into special/express stream, just because they don't get the A*s their parents want. And wait, it doesn't end there, it has a detrimental effect on their self-esteem and their confidence. It is shaken right from the start for most of the 'lousy' ones. I just feel so much for this people. I just wish our society can stop labelling people, this society is really being segmented. These people are the ones we must reach out to.
Posted at 12:26 AM